Tuesday, June 29, 2010

CSA 6: Carrot-Zucchini-Beet Muffins

The other day I got my bill for chemistry class.  Next week begins registration at massage school.  And my car just broke down.  I've gotta budget myself.  And I have all these vegetables. 

Its a small savings but I figured I could stop buying breakfast everyday and start eating some of my vegetables instead.  Carrot, zucchini, beet muffins it is!  And a whole $3.75 a week savings, whoopie. But more then that its also an extra half serving of vegetables a day plus whole wheat flour versus my previous 1/2 a buttered (white) roll for breakfast.

I figured carrot cake is good, and I remember zucchini bread being good.  So apparently they bake well.  And that beet?  Well it was tiny - about the size of a large cherry - what else was I going to do with it anyway?  So why wouldn't vegetable muffins work?  Admittedly the tiny beet didn't mix with the whole wheat flour to make a delicious color batter, but it added bits of red flecks to the end product, which along with green flecks from the zucchini gave the muffins a festive look.

Vegetable muffins

1 carrot
1/2 zucchini
1 (tiny) beet
1/2 inch fresh ginger root, shredded
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375. Chop the vegetables super finely. Mix the dry ingredients.  Mix in the vegetables and ginger with the flour mixture really well.  Mix in milk.  Pour batter into muffin papers and bake for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. when you were a kid, i used to make carrot, zucchini, nut and orange juice muffins--so next time, think about fruit juice instead of milk-Juice ands flavor and sweetness.

    and whole wheat makes a dense muffin. take 1/2 cup of oatmeal, dump it in a blender, and make some oat flour to the mix--oat has no gluten--so it make the muffins softer, and less dense--and its good fiber too.

    whole corn (or corn flour) is an other sweet veggie that works well in sweet muffins.. (or savory ones when mixed with hot peppers or cheese!)

    ReplyDelete