Monday, June 21, 2010

CSA 4: Roasted Beet salad


Its Monday. That means tomorrow brings the promise of more vegetables: week 4.

It took a bit of adjustment, but I'm actually almost caught up. OK I gave one head of lettuce away, and one bag of mixed lettuces and salad greens, and I still have almost all the turnips (what can I say? I'm not excited about turnips) but otherwise I've used all the veggies. I guess I haven't eaten them all - I still have kimchi and one serving of beet salad left (and enough green salad for lunch tomorrow), but at least those are prepared and ready to eat.

And the beet salad won't last long - its only because I have so much other good food that I haven't eaten it, its not due to a lack of want. The beets are sweet and their juices mixed with the cheese and the vinegar to create a creamy sauce, the most beautiful fushia color in existence.

Roasted beet salad with goat cheese


6 beets, trimmed
1 spring rosemary
olive oil
good salt
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar

Preheat oven to 375.
Using foil, make a little pouch. Put the beets and rosemary in it, drizzle with olive oil. Close up the little pouch.
Roast about an hour. Open pouch and let them cool. Discard rosemary.
Peel the beets (doing this under running water helps reduce the beet juice stains) and slice. Mix beets, onion, cheese, a bit of salt and the vinegar.
That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment