Sunday, August 15, 2010

Fig Dressing

I have a new favorite food. And a new dream for a tree.

A customer gave me 6 figs.  She has a tree and apparently more fruit then she can eat.  Although having tasted these figs I don't see how anyone could ever have too many.

I don't know if I've ever had fresh fig before.  I've had fig stuff, obviously Fig Newtons, and also fig compote.  But I don't know I've ever just had plain fig.  I'd remember. Its like a mild, squishy strawberry.  Its delicious and subtle and sweet and melts in your mouth like custard.

I'm pretty sure fig trees are those trees people wrap in garbage bags and buckets all winter.  I've seen them scattered through Queens and New York my whole life, but I've never known any of the people who owned them.

At first, I didn't know what to do with them.  I hesitated to even try them.  I'm not sure why. But then I just decided to cut one in half and try it.  Wow.  Actually what inspired me to try it was, I needed to make a salad dressing for tomorrows lunch. But I wasn't prepared for it to be quite so perfect a food.  I ate two just as is, cut in half. I didn't eat the skin, but I pretty much scraped all the flesh out of it. Then I made a fig and basil dressing.

Fig & Basil dressing
2 figs, no skin
10 small basil leaves, chopped
rice vinegar
olive oil
salt

Wisk together.

No comments:

Post a Comment