Sunday, August 15, 2010

CSA 17: Mashed Potato

Is there any thing more simple and satisfying then mashed potato?

I've gotten a nice selection of potatoes the last few weeks.  Red potatoes, golden potatoes, and tiny little purple potatoes. So far I've eaten roasted potatoes, and boiled potato made into salad.  And I've had mashed potatoes.

I crush in one giant garlic clove, also a spoil of my CSA share, a pat of butter, salt and a generous splash of my vegetable broth and smash away.  I leave the skins on the potato (which I cut before I boil them) since so many of the nutrients are in the skins, and because I like the consistency of mashed potato with chunks of skin.  And to be honest, because I'm cheap and lazy.

Because I used an assortment that included 2 purple potatoes, and because my current stash of broth is red from June's beets, my last batch of mashed potato was pink, which was fun.

Mashed Potato
2 red potatoes
1 golden potato
2 purple potatoes
1 clove garlic, crushed
vegetable broth
salt
butter

Set some water to boil.  Scrub the potatoes and cut into about 1 inch chunks.  Drop in the water (it doesn't matter if its boiling yet or not).  Boil the potatoes several minutes until fork tender.  Turn off the heat, drain the potato, and return to pot.  Add the rest of the ingredients, and mash until as smooth as it will get.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment