Monday, July 12, 2010

CSA 8: Cole Slaw

"Try some cole slaw - its organic!"

OK so maybe my friends were laughing at me, but I feel really good for having shared such a healthy salad with them. Everyone said they liked it, and certainly it was the first time some of them had ever had yellow carrot and/or kohlrabi.

So it wasn't completely organic, I did use Miracle Whip and other condiments, but all the veggies were from my farm share.  And at least Miracle Whip and vinegar is a pretty low fat dressing. As for the following recipe, I didn't measure the dressing ingredients, I just winged it. Heck its coleslaw, I winged the whole thing, its just easier to notice "1/2 a head of cabbage" versus a blob of MW. The recipe simply came about because I had Linda's BBQ to go to and I had cabbage and kohlrabi to use up. 

It took about 15 minutes total, super easy!

Cole Slaw
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
small onion, shredded
1/2 kholrabi, shredded
2 small carrots, shredded

dressing
Miracle Whip
seasoned rice vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard powder
salt & pepper

Wisk the dressing together, and pour over the veggies and mix well.  Let sit at least 1 hour.

1 comment:

  1. nice dressing, but there are others that are better, and you might try (if you have them) a teaspoon of caraway seeds in the cole slaw.

    ReplyDelete