Sunday, July 18, 2010

CSA 10: Pesto Squash

Sometimes you just want a big plate of pasta.  And cheese.  I mean who doesn't love a big plate of cheesy pasta?  But neither pasta, nor cheese uses up my vegetables... So I made squash and pasta with pesto sauce.

I got one yellow squash amongst all my zucchinis last week and figured this would be the perfect dish for it.  I cut it into sticks the same approximate size as my pasta.  And pesto is a classic way to use up all that basil, and with almonds and cheese (and high protein multigrain pasta) its a very balanced dish.

The pesto came out to several servings, but I ate all of the squash with my pasta.  Since I actually do measure out a proper serving of pasta each time, it made for a big plate of food, but not really an outragous serving size.

The first hing I did was set the water boiling for the pasta, then I cut the squash and got that going, added the pasta to the water, then made the pesto, and the timing worked out perfectly with everything done at once.

Pesto
about 1 cup fresh basil leaves
2 scallions
small handful almonds
2 oz Asiago cheese
salt & pepper
Olive oil

Put everything in a food processor except the oil.  Turn it on and slowly drizzle in oil until its a smooth consistency, occasionally stopping to scrape down the sides.

Squash
1 squash cut into sticks
olive oil, butter
Adobo

Melt a small pat of butter into a small amount of olive oil over medium heat.  Add squash, sprinkle with Adobo and mix well to coat each piece of squash.  Cook about 10 minutes stirring occasionally, until squash is softened and lightly golden.

Mix 1 serving of cooked pasta, the squash and 1/3 of the pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment