Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Greens pie, revisted


I made these little greens pies Sunday, knowing I had a busy week ahead of me.  They take a lot of time, but its not hard to make them, and you can do just about all of it in advance. With meetings Monday and Wednesday, and my fiance's band playing Tuesday, and then veggie pick up and dinner plans Thursday I wanted something on hand I could get ready without too much effort.

They are packed with a cup of cooked greens each, full of flavor and a super handy side dish. I can just pop them in the oven and go about my other chores and have an elaborate serving of nutrient dense vegetables.

I've made greens pie in the past and looking back, I simplified the recipe quite a bit, increasing the greens and cheese, while reducing the egg, and of course using leek and onion.  I have also over the course of multiple tries found letting the greens cool before mixing with the egg and cheese, and increasing baking time results is a flakier crust.  I've probably made 20 different versions over the years, I just use whats on hand. Its also tasty with a good, hard Italian cheese instead like Romano or Asiago, or with peppers cooked in.

My one caution is to watch the salt, as feta and other cheeses can be very salty to begin with, especially if you are using salted butter as well.

Greens pie, again

1 bunch turnip greens, stems removed
1 bunch red kale, stems removed
1 medium/small leek, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed, minced or through a press
1 cup crumbled feta (I used fat free)
1 egg
Salt, pepper, seasonings (roasted tomato, crushed green jalapeño)
4 sheets filo dough, defrosted
Olive oil, butter
4 8oz ramekins

Pre-heat oven to 350.

Chop and rinse turnip greens and kale. Put in a large pan and cook in the water clinging to the leaves, over low, covered, for about 3-5 minutes, until well wilted. Push the greens to the perimeter of the pan, add a dab of butter and a drizzle of olive oil to the center.  Add chopped leek and crushed garlic and sauté.  Once the leek is softened, mix in the greens and cook it all together another few minutes together.  

Remove from heat and let cool.

Mix greens, feta, seasonings and the egg.

Take a piece of filo dough and mist with olive oil. Fold in half. Mist with olive oil and fold in half again. Tuck into a ramekin, fill with greens mixture. Fold down one corner, mist, fold the next clockwise, mist, repeat, to seal.

Bake 1 hour and serve.  Or bake 30 minutes, let cool and wrap in plastic wrap and store. When ready to serve, bake at 350 for 10 minutes, carefully tip out of ramekin and bake upside down for another 20 minutes, serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment